Friday, January 13, 2017

Concluding Chapter

 
 
Photo by Kelly Reilly
 
This is the image I posted to Clashot. I chose to sign up and upload an image to Clashot. I think this is a neat way to upload my own photos, yet be able to see what other people are taking photos of nearby me and around the world. 
 When I signed up for this class, I had no idea what photojournalism was. I knew the word photo and I love to take photos so I thought it would be a great class to take and learn new things in. And that I did. I learned a lot from this class. I now know what photojournalism is. Photojournalism is a visual representation of a story. I think the article, What is Photojournalism, defines photojournalism well by stating, “Photojournalism is the process of story telling using the medium of photography as your main story telling device. While a journalist will use their pen and paper to tell stories, a photojournalist will use their camera to capture the visual representation of a story.” Photojournalism is also a job where men and women put their lives on the line to get that perfect photo that viewers want to see. They want to show us parts of the world we are unable to see ourselves. It is important to understand the history of photojournalism to understand the point to the images we see, and why people take their images. As John Nordell stated in his video “It started with Mathew Brady’s photograph from the Civil War, to be considered by many to be the beginning of photojournalism.” It started with exhibits where people would stand in line to see the photographs. When technology increased people were able to bring pictures in newspapers. It is important to know how it started and why. This whole course opened my mind. It opened my mind by showing me where photos from newspapers and magazines come from. It opened my mind on how to appreciate photos I see and how they tell a story and to think about the person who took the photos. There is a story to every photo, it’s not just a picture.
I believe photographs can change the world. A photograph can show so much in one image. While looking at a photograph people can see so many emotions, feelings, and also see how other people live or other parts of the world they have not been too. A photograph can change the world by people seeing the hurt and the darkness in the world. Many people do not know what it is really like at war or in third world countries. By seeing photographs of these things can make an impact on how people see the world and may want to help with these issues. As Jonathan Klein said in his speech, “…since the beginning of photography, images have provoked reactions in people, and those reactions have caused change to happen.” Also, a photograph can show the beauty in the world. You do not know how beautiful any place can be until you see it, and many times that is from a photograph. Photographs can also change the world by capturing an image that can change history. The photographer has their own story just as the image they are capturing. 
Signing up to Clashot makes me want to take more photos and upload them, maybe they are good and I will get some money someday for it! By knowing what I know now from taking this class I will be able to enjoy what other people post on Clashot.
Photo by Tim Hetherington
 
Photo by Stephanie Sinclair
 
Photo by
 
Photo by Ruth Orkin
 
These are just a few of images that made an impact to me. In each, there is so much emotion, they are so powerful and tell so much of a story.  They are from different parts of the world, shows different events that are happening in the world, in places I will probably never go.
 
Photo by Mathew Brady
 
I learned that Mathew Brady was the first photojournalist. He took photos of the Civil War. He showed a lot of death. Also, he showed people back home what was happening during war, and also took photos before their loved ones left so they had something to remember them by.
 
Photo by Andrea Lucado
 
I learn what Rule of Third is and how I can spot it on a photo. That the subject is not in the middle of the frame, it is off center. Also if you divide the photo into thirds the main subject will be in one of the thirds.
 
Photo by Tina Modotti
 
I also learned that women have been compared to men since we were created. I learned it was hard to women to become photojournalist and got criticized by their male co-works and they would mess around with them and their photos. I learned women have been taking photographers ass long as men have, and they will not stop for anyone. If they love to take photos, they will continue doing so and won't let anyone or anything get in their way.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment